Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Abi Covers the UK

For my first, proper weekend away I went to England to visit my brother, Mark, his wife, Kristiina, and their daughter Miia. They live in a small village in Wiltshire, just outside of Bath. I was so ridiculously excited all of last week. I have always wanted to go to England and Bath, thanks to Jane Austen, has always been high on my list of cities to see.


My trip started Friday morning when I flew out of Basel Airport. It was a direct flight to London. Once I landed in London I had to catch the DLR into London so I could then catch the tube to Paddington train station. I was a little worried about the trip but it was a really quite a simple trip to the train station. I had a bit of time so I walked around the area towards Hyde Park. It was fantastic. I could hardly keep the grin off my face as I walked down the street. It was fab, I probably looked the fool but I didn't care.


When I got to Bath Mark and Miia where there to meet me. We took a quick tour of Bath and then met Kristiina for lunch. I love Bath. The countryside is absolutely beautiful and in the town there is always something going on. Mark and Kristiina have a place in Winsley which is just outside of Bath about 20 minutes. While in Bath we saw the Abbey, the Roman Baths, the Royal Crescent and the Circus. The entire time we were walking around I was thinking about Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth from Persuasion. I really couldn't help myself. That is my favorite Jane Austen book and much of it takes place in Bath...ah Captain Wentworth...


Any who, Bath was a lot of fun. There are a lot of opportunities for shopping and sightseeing. We also went into Bradford-on-Avon. Avon is the river that runs through Bath and Bradford. It is the Bristol Avon, not to be confused with the other Avon...as in Stratford-on-Avon. Why there are two different rivers in the same country with the same name is beyond me. It was a beautiful bike ride through the countryside on a gorgeous day. We poked around Bradford and then had lunch at an Inn. I had fish and chips. They were good but I am sure I will probably have better next time I go.

Monday I spent the morning with Mark and Miia and then it was back to London for a few hours. I walked from Paddington station all the way to Bank via Parliament, the London Eye and Tate Modern. I can't believe I covered so much ground in just 4 hours. I know I am going to have to go back and take a bit more time at a few of the locations. I still need to see more neighborhoods like Notting Hill and Covent Garden. I want to be able to wander more without the pressing need to see everything. That is why I tried to see as much as possible on Monday. When I am there again in August I will be able to enjoy the city for what it is, not as a tourist looking for the next photo op.

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing trip Abi! I love reading your blog and living these adventures vicariously through you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I am completely jealous. I actually just read Persuasion this week. Good book!! I've been dying to get over there, so I'm glad you are living it and I can read about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abi you are vey cute in that picture

    ReplyDelete