Monday, March 1, 2010

when will it stop?


I feel like all I have been doing the last year is packing and then subsequently unpacking. If I had to give the year 2009 a name it would be the Year of the Suitcases. There was my first major packing prior to moving to France. There were a whole bunch of small weekend trips that shouldn't have been difficult but trust me, they were. There was also the huge packing of the entire house when we moved from one village to another. It is actually harder packing up someone's house that isn't yours. The easiest was when I was coming home. Choosing what I was packing was easy, fitting everything in my suitcases was the hard part

I am leaving for New York in two weeks and I once again have to start thinking about packing. There is quite a bit of uncertainty with this move and so I have a feeling this round of packing is going to be quite difficult. I suppose the one major upshot to this is that I am moving into my brother's already furnished apartment.

I know there are a lot of you out there travel often, any advice?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Abi! Good luck in NY! Having moved and traveled extensively, I have a little advice (to take or leave as you like).

    Take:
    Photos of people and places you love
    Recipes you love
    Favorite music
    A few sets of clothes that you love--wait to purchase anything until you are there

    Don't take:
    Anything you don't love
    Anything that is worn out
    Books (I know, but they are heavy and you will accumulate more)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to bring books, I would recommend having them shipped to avoid the baggage fees at the airport.

    Like Becki said, don't bring anything you don't love or KNOW you will use. I went that route with this move and got rid of a lot of useless or unused stuff.

    Take into consideration the amount of room you will have and try to bring your things based upon that.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks. books have been an issue in the past. i carried around a copy of Woman in White with me to france and back. i was really regretting bringing it along by the time i came back to the states.

    ReplyDelete
  4. put everything you think you need on your bed, then put half of it back. If you haven't used/worn/thought about it in the recent past, you can live without it for that much longer. Plus, if you really need something, new clothes are a great souvenir. And um, last I checked, NYC has great shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete