Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Water Sports

Spearfishing. Mark has been talking about wanting to learn how to spearfish since we first decided to move to Honolulu. As luck would have it Zak's (we're staying at his house until we get our own place) son loves to go spearfishing. We met Jimmy on Sunday and he invited us to go with him on Monday. I had not anticipated going myself but somehow I ended up in the water with a snorkel on and a 3 pronged spear in my hand. First off, before Monday I had never been snorkeling. When I first put on the snorkel and tried breathing I had a mini panic attack. I wasn't really sure how to breath. I came up out of the water for a minute or so until I figured out how to breath solely through my mouth.

Once we got going to was incredible. We went just off Waikiki along the coral. There were so many different kinds of fish, they were so beautiful. I just didn't have it in me to spear any of them. I did try a couple of times but I couldn't do it. We were out for about 2 hours and the time passed so quickly. I took a picture of Mark in is slightly too small wet suit but we can't find the cord to connect the camera to the computer so that will have to wait.


My view
Yesterday we met up with Mark's uncle who was in town for the day to go surfing. Well Mark went surfing. I sat myself down on the beach, slathered myself with sunscreen and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Mark had a blast. I took another picture of him but like I said before, no cord. We were down at Waikiki again and while it's a nice beach I don't think I'll make it a habit to go there often. There were so many tourists. All the big hotels are right there. By the time we left a little after 10:30am it was packed.

Today we signed our lease and moved into our new apartment. We went with the 2 bedroom basement apartment. We really love it. We're not sure what to do with the space yet but as soon as we have furniture we'll play around with it and make it work. Maybe once we have more stuff in our place I'll post some pictures.

So they really don't have sidewalks here. Especially in the residential areas. I took this picture as we were walking to the bus yesterday. There is grass all the way up to the curb and you just walk on it. Coming from New York it's more than a little weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment