Tuesday, May 5, 2009

the perfect backpack


When I was in high school and even in college backpack shopping was a constant pain. I had two options. Number one: go with mom and pick something out. This option would inevitably end up with my mom finding one that I would rather die than wear to school (sorry mom, I still love you). This was mostly due to the fact that I was looking at style and she was looking at the 5 other kids she had to buy for. The second option was to reuse one of my older siblings bags. I was again faced with the same problem, style v. economy. Needless to say, economy always won.

I am once again faced with this issue. Everyone I have talked to about traveling around Europe has advised me to forgo suitcases and use a backpack instead. Thus began my epic task of finding the perfect backpack for my adventures. This time around I am doing it without my mom's help and it's not necessarily about style as it is about function. I started out looking online, not knowing anything about what I needed...daypack, internal frame, weekend trip packs, extended trip packs...I soon felt as though my head was spinning. I eventually went to REI and actually tried on different backpacks and that helped a ton.

I have a few options now and I think I am going to be able to work something out so that I will be able to tromp (stylishly) around Europe with a backpack.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't spend too much; Europeans are more practical and less style conscious.

    ReplyDelete