Thursday, March 15, 2012

Right Outside My Window

This week marks 2 years since I've moved to New York. It's been fantastic. New York is an incredibly original city with a very diverse population. You can always find something to do here. I have really enjoyed living here and I've never really worried about living here. That is until this past week...

Last Friday Mark and I had just left the gym when we heard a loud crunching sound behind us. We turned to see that a minivan had run into the back of a parked city bus and was then subsequently t-boned by a FedEx truck. You would think living in a city with as much traffic that New York has a person would see more accidents. Well, in the two years I have been here that was the first accident I have ever seen. Mark went over to check on the guy and he claimed to be doing alright despite spitting a suspicious amount of blood.

The night before last we were rudely awoken by the sound of gunshots. There were 4 to start followed by a couple more. I think Mark would have slept right through them had I not jostled him awake when the last shot went off. He will say otherwise, that he was awake and alert, like a "jungle cat" (his words, not mine). When I looked out the window there were two cop cars down the street and they looked like they had been there for a while, their lights weren't on. Mark told me to go back to sleep and then turned over and did just that. I had a harder time falling back asleep. I realized that though I knew and heard about shootings in New York I never expected one to wake me up in the middle of the night. Yesterday I scoured the web trying to find any information about what had happened to no avail. We'll probably never know what happened, Mark thinks it was a drug bust gone wrong but I'm not sure about that.

While my first experience isn't anything too shocking the second causes a person to pause. I don't think it's change how I feel about New York, I still love this city and I am so amazed that I have been able to live here. After all of this the next logical step can only be a giant gorilla attack. I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment