Saturday, November 10, 2012

these boots are made for walkin'


 When I was in France I bought these amazing boots. They’re perfect. They fit over my calves (finding a pair that did was no small task), they have a nice low heel and they are just plain gorgeous. I think I wore them non-stop the first 6 months after I bought them.  I kept wearing them when we moved to New York but it soon became apparent that they were in need of some TLC. I was wearing out the heel and some of the stitching in the back was coming undone.  Into my closet they went for almost a year as I kept meaning to get them repaired. I finally got around to fixing them last spring. When I first got them back they were really stiff and slightly uncomfortable to wear. The more I wore them though the softer the leather got.

When we were packing to move to Hawaii there was discussion as to what to do with our winter clothes. We got rid of a lot, mostly stuff that we hadn’t really worn/used and decided to bring the rest of it with us to Honolulu. We knew we would be traveling back to the northwest for visits and unless we went in late summer we would need jackets and sweaters. My boots fell under that umbrella as well.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to pull my boots out and wear them to work. It was a little cloudy when I left home and as per usual I knew my office was going to be freezing. I posted a picture on Facebook of me wearing boots and got all sorts of comments about wearing them in Honolulu. Before I wore them to work I don’t think I had seen anyone else wearing boots. I have since seen a few other women wearing them. I wore them again to church on Sunday and when I was complimented on my outfit I mentioned that the boots were probably an odd choice but I wanted to wear them. The girl I was talking to replied that she had a pair of boots but she only wore them at night because she felt funny wearing them during the day when the sun was shinning. I wore them again the other day and received all sorts of compliments. Mark and I have decided that everyone is simply jealous of my gumption and wish they too could be on the cutting edge of fashion.

I have decided to throw caution in the wind and single-handedly make wearing boots in Honolulu acceptable.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I wear a hat in winter in Oregon every day. Especially if it's raining--which is every day. I get loads and loads of comments from all kinds of people. People at work watch for me to see my hat. My asst principal said--Oh, I wish I could wear a hat!

    My point--if people don't have the gumption to wear a hat in Oregon in the winter when it is cold and rainy--I don't have a lot of hope that you are going to change any fashion in Honolulu. Like you, however, I am going to hope to set an example that will encourage others. In this case, encourage them to stop getting their heads wet all the time.

    ReplyDelete