Monday, August 31, 2009

in the light of day


Have you ever noticed how different things are in the light of day. Last Christmas I flew to Kyiv to visit my sister and her husband. When I booked the flights I didn't really take note of the fact that I would only have about an hour to change flights in London. It wasn't until after everything was all booked and set that I realized my mistake. There was nothing I could do. I then had to deal with Terminal 5. When I landed in London on my way to Kyiv it was early in the morning. Once I made it through passport control and security my flight was in final boarding, that's when I started running. I ran through the terminal, past the fancy shops and celebrity restaurants (Gordon Ramsey has a place) and made it just in time for my flight. Coming back it was evening when I landed and again, after the mess with passport control and security I once again had to run to make my plane. Needless to say I didn't see much.

Today I found myself once again in Terminal 5. It was mid afternoon and the place was full of people. The terminal itself is very new and full of shops and restaurants that I didn't have time to even glance at last time through. The place was crowded with flights being called constantly, "flight 548 to Rome, flight 623 to Chicago, flight 885 to Santiago". If you want to feel like you are at the center of the world just go to Terminal 5 at Heathrow and catch a plane to anywhere.

2 comments: