Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I really love Pinterest but...(part 2)

Moving right along, here is part 2.

My next grievance: impossible-to-do-by-yourself crafts. This is a serious problem. Pinterest has given the false hope to many that they too can do what Martha Stewart does. The truth is even Martha Stewart doesn’t do all those silly crafts by herself. She has a massive staff that has every possible tool at their fingertips. They have endless supplies that allow them to do and then redo projects until it looks just right at which point pictures are blasted out of a perfect looking topiary made with fresh wildflowers only found in Outer Mongolia.

I feel I should be fair and include a disclaimer that I don't craft and I am by no means a crafty person. That said I just want to look out for all those who do enjoy gettin' their craft on.

There are some really great blogs out there that chronicle the sometimes epic fails of people trying pins. My favorites are craftfail.com and pintester.com. If you want a good laugh or you want to see what happens when normal people try and tackle some seemly simple pins check them out.

This pin is a great example.
In conjecture with this subject is the endless supply of re-purposing pins.  People try and re-purpse everyday items like t-shirts and not so everyday items like wooden pallets. Because we can all go out and pick up a pallet and turn it into a desk chair. I totally get wanting to be able to continue to use something that isn't quite ready to be thrown out but there are only so many ways you can re-purpose something before it be comes obscene.

For this next pet peeve I will freely admit that this is just me and they way I like to use Pinterest. I can't stand pins that go nowhere. This is what happens when people blindly repin something without first clicking through to see if there is an original post. Often people repin a picture that is just that, a picture. When someone follows the pin it takes you to some tumblr or wordpress site that just has other pictures on it and no words. What's the point of the pin if it doesn't take you somewhere helpful? I clicked through one pin the other day that took me to a yahoo! image search for Mexican Food. I was really hoping for a recipe guys!

I really don't feel like this is the way to use Pinterest. I understand the point of wanting to keep track of good ideas and such but what happens when you decide you want to actually do something you've pinned. You're sunk, that's what happens.

3 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly. With all of it. you should check out wtfpintrest.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i spelled that wrong... wtfpinterest.com is the site.

      Delete
  2. that site is hilarious. i'm glad im not the only one that can't stand pins that go nowhere.

    ReplyDelete