Monday, May 11, 2009

First days...

First days aren't too different from last days. There is still the potential for extreme awkwardness but there is more chance of screwing up and making yourself look like a dork on your first day. No one really cares what you do on your last day, they're just happy they don't have to deal with you any more.

Today was my first official day as an au pair. I went with Emma to drop Isabelle at school. Jack stayed home today because he got a wicked bad sunburn yesterday. There wasn't much to do in the morning, Jack planted himself firmly in front of the telly for most of the morning.

At 11:30 I had to go pick up Emma for lunch. Both kids have an hour and a half for lunch so they come home. This meant I had to drive. I wasn't super nervous...I knew how to get there and where to meet Issy but there was the slight problem of parking. There aren't parking lots anywhere. Everyone just uses the sidewalk. I knew this before I came but the American inside me has a really hard time with that situation. When I was pulling up to the school there was a city bus right where we had dropped her off so I kept driving only to realize that I had no idea where to go once I got past the school. I pulled into a driveway to turn around. I had to back out on to a fairly busy street, I felt like a total dork. I still didn't know where to wait so I kinda went around the block and when I got back to the school there was a place for me to pull up and wait. Needless to say, I walked to pick Issy up after school. Better luck tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. i can't tell you how excited i am to live vicariously through you. no pressure though, right? :o)

    ReplyDelete