Friday, May 8, 2009

Last days

Yesterday was my last day of work. As much fun as I have had, saving the world one composite at a time, I was very excited to leave. I had one singular goal throughout the day, avoid my executive director. That may seem odd but when a man has the unwanted ability to make a simple conversation awkward you can only imagine what he could do on someones last day.

Saying goodbye to coworkers is weird enough, I am never really sure what to say or even do. The entire conversation quickly becomes a volley of "good lucks" and "take cares" culminating into an awkward "well I better get going". And then what, do you shake hands? hug? I have decided there is not really good way to end a goodbye conversation with a coworker without it being weird. You may have just spent the majority of your waking hours with them for the last year you still don't know them that well and there is a certain barrier everyone puts up at work.

I am happy to report that I was able to avoid my executive director all day. As I was sneaking out the back door I was so sure he was going to come up behind me and attempt to dole out tidbits of advice. It made for quite an exciting last day.

2 comments:

  1. I just always say "see you later." Then... for a second they think we will and it's not bad. Then I sneak away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Abi -- that is quite a feat. He could have imparted to you his rich and colorful history of visiting France and regaled you with useless information and an "I'm glad you were born" salvo! Consider yourself lucky!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete