Wednesday, May 20, 2009

round and round we go




For those of you that I have been to Europe know of the European penchant for roundabouts. I can almost honestly say that I have never previously driven in a roundabout. From what I can tell they are used when traffic lights are not wanted. I am still trying to decide how I like them. Every time I pull into one it takes a lot of willpower to not keep going around and around. It would be like turning cookies or donuts in the parking lot but with a previously defined path. I've decided that it would be too 'American' of me. I am just going to focus on now running into someone else or the middle. I am just glad that I don't have to deal with this roundabout:

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=115&ss=289

2 comments:

  1. When I was Ireland, the bus driver of a tour we took wanted to show us something. It was on a roundabout and he wanted to make sure that everyone saw it, so he went around again. Then he decided it was fun and started singing the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, while going round the round about four times! It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo the magic round-a-bout! that was in my mission! although I never was close enough to get to it :( ah well. (For those of you that want to see someone in action on said round-a-bout... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrfdQIg4ap0 )

    I myself am a huge fan of the round-a-bout, I hope you become one too.

    ReplyDelete