Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Seriously missing out

American kids are seriously missing out. The French school system is so much better than the American one. The children's schedule is as follows: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday morning class 8am-11:30. They then have a break from 11:30 until 1:10. The afternoon classes go from then until 4pm. They have no school on Wednesday. Its like the weekend in the middle of the week. This morning Jack had football and I took Isabelle to sign up for horseback ridding lessons. Then, they had their cousin and a friend over in the afternoon. Like I said, American kids are seriously missing out.

There are alot of things I am going to have to get use to living here. I think the one thing that is going to be the weirdest is the parking on the sidewalks. Like I said before, there are hardly any parking lots. There is one by the larger supermarche in Saint Louis but thats the only real one I've seen so far. Apparently there is a car park just on the edge of Basel that you can park in and them take the tram into the city. People just park wherever. That would not fly in the states. I am also going to miss, randomly, water that isn't from a bottle. No one drinks tap water here and rightly so but I am already kind board with bottled Vittal. It doesn't seem to quench my thurst. Maybe I need to branch out and try other brands.

3 comments:

  1. I am so extremely jealous of your crazy adventures! what a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your French kids are lucky! The kids I taught were in school from 8 AM to 6 PM with an hour long lunch either at noon or at 1. They only had Wednesday afternoons off, not the whole day, and sometimes not even that! To compensate, I think all the students had at least one or two "free periods" during the day - which is when I had to give some of them their oral exams :-p

    I'm enjoying reading the blog! It's fun to read about your experience in France right after I finished mine :-)

    -Marianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty nice system. Bet the sessions themselves are pretty intense though.

    ReplyDelete